Thursday, October 18, 2012

Leftover Tamale Soup


 
Let me start by saying that I HATE wasting food.  Growing up poor, I have gained an attitude of thankfulness when it comes to what I have been provided to eat. I remember the days when food was scarce so it just drives me crazy if I have to throw any of it away.  My husband does pretty good with leftovers, but it does get boring.  So, this post is the beginning of a series in which I plan to give you good ideas for revamping your leftovers.

In my neighborhood, there is a pleasant little Mexican lady who occasionally drops by to sell us some homemade tamales.  They are delicious!  After the first day or two, however they just aren't as good.  Even if they are reheated in the microwave they seem dry and...just not the same. So, I wrap them up and pop them into the freezer.  The other day, I discovered over 30 frozen tamales in my freezer!  So, after thawing a few, I used some ingredients that I already had on hand and I made...


Leftover Tamale Soup

1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped green peppers
1 clove garlic chopped or minced
3 c. chicken broth
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. crushed chili pepper
dash or pinch of cinnamon
1 rounded teaspoon tomato paste
1 c. leftover black beans (or pinto beans)
3 small tomatoes with juice chopped
5-6 thawed leftover tamales
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and sour cream to garnish 

In a large pot, saute onions, green peppers and garlic.  Cut tamales into bite size pieces and set aside.  When onion mixture is soft, add chicken broth, tomato paste and spices.  Bring to a boil.  Turn heat to low.  Add beans, tamales, tomatoes, and most of the cilantro.  At this point you could also add a cup of corn and/or black olives.  I would have done so, but I didn't have them available. 

Simmer for about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.  Take off the heat.  Ladle into bowls.  Garnish and serve.  Serves 4-6.
 
This is a little spicy so be careful.  The sour cream helps a little with that.   It was super delicious though!  My kids even loved it!  I will definitely be making more of this in the future and I won't be so afraid to buy more tamales!
 
One note:  The masa in the tamales does break down a little as you cook the soup. If you reheat it later eventually it will be more grainy. It still tastes delicious. It just isn't as pretty.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! 

2 comments: